Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Why I've grown to hate the Red Sox

Last night while I was hosting trivia and just as the Sox/Yanks game started, I put up a Tweet saying that I hoped the Sox got humbled the old country way. If you're a wrestling geek, you totally understood that reference. If you're not, basically I was saying I hoped the Yanks took a Louisville Slugger and shoved it up the collective backsides of the Sox. Off of that, one of my buddies (who happens to be a Yanks fan) Tweeted back to me that I'm just a fairweather fan.

Couldn't be further from the truth. I'm just a fed up fan...and I'm not talking about the wins/losses either.

You're talking about a dude who may have been a fairweather fan growing up, because my father wasn't into sports and my mother...well, she was kinda busy being my mother AND father at times (that's all you get outta me unless you're dating me -- cute girls feel free to apply), so I wasn't really into sports myself. But between friends, growing up and coming into my own, and everything in between, I started getting into them, and during the 2003 ALDS between the Sox and A's that was a total nailbiter and the 2003 ALCS between the Sox and Yanks (yes, THAT ALCS...Aaron f*****g Boone), I was glued to my couch with friends. In 2004 I'd constantly leave my night class to go into the cafe down the hall to check the score during the ALDS, and during the ALCS (yes, THAT ALCS...Yankees = choke artists)...I didn't even go to class. World Series came, and like Joe Buck said, I, like other Red Sox fans, "longed to hear it...the Red Sox, are World Champions." I lead the parade of people from my suite across campus to the quad to all the drunk girls showing off the celebratory boobies (God damn do I miss college).

Fast forward a few years to 2011 -- I didn't care so much that the Sox lost in the playoff game against the Rays. Stuff happens sometimes, ya know? It's what happened in the offseason that disgusted me. Finger pointing, drama about f*****g chicken and beer in the dugout, douchebag players getting egos bigger than their average or ERA (which were respectively terrible)...and then all the pink hats deciding that #OccupyFenway should actually be something -- and then the biggest pink hat network of them all, NESN, following through with it!

Add in this season's total...I guess bulls**t is the only word for it, and I'm embarrassed that I have about 5 Sox hats hanging up on my hat rack at home. The Sox went from the ultimate underdog team that you loved to cheer for from season to season to a bunch of sellouts that just wanted to cater to the members of the crowd that only go to Fenway because they think it's awesome to sing Sweet Caroline in the Bottom of the 8th. Don't believe me? THEY OPENED A F*****G CONCESSION STAND CALLED "SWEET CAROLINE" IN THE PARK!!!

Who knows though, maybe this was the wake-up call the team needed to get their heads out of their asses and actually give a s**t about the job they're played WAY too much money to do -- play ball. And play ball because they supposedly love the game, not because of their stupid ass paychecks or because the fans think it's awesome when you piss inside the Green Monster in between innings or just booze in the clubhouse because you're not the Starting Pitcher that day. But until I find out if they're gonna stop being the legit pathetic f***tards they've become, I'm all about these guys.



Let's go Cubbies.




No comments:

Post a Comment